PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Surcharges
Thread: Fuel Surcharges
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2008, 00:28
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
AMEandPPL, my apologies, I had not read your post closely enough. Of course, Virgin Atlantic have been carrying representation of the Union Jack on their 744 winglets for some years. It may not be an exact rectangular 'flag' as it is shaped to fit but it is unmistakable.

jotape, it would indeed be very nice to have all the components wrapped up into the one price but it is never going to happen. For the simple reason - that you would have to get every other carrier in the world to do the same thing on the same day. If BA are flying to (say) 25 European destinations, then you have to get every other airline with whom they compete (directly point to point or indirectly from airfields near by) to change their way of presenting fares. That means getting all those other goverments to legislate in the same way at the same time.

Human beings like to see a low 'headline' price and every line if business, from supermarkets to motorcars to airlines have ways of catching the punter's eye. If the price turns out to be a bit higher - then you can decide not to buy. It was always that way and will always be. Each time the rules inthis country are changed to try and make pricing less ambiguous? They find another way to present it. I agree, it is highly irritating and I would prefer it to be the way that it was. But it won't be.

Changing the basic human desire to advertise and secure a bargain? That is not going to change!