PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 21:58
willantis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it is shocking that the UK offers no SAR cover for the Channel tonight, and I suppose many nights until the 139 issues are overcome. However, we should remember that there is a pretty advanced nation to the south of La Manche who I believe is quite good with helicopters.

By the way, I think that an experienced SAR officer wearing a light blue uniform was involved in the selection of the AW139 (and S92) for this interim contract. BUT few new aircraft enter service without teething problems, which are usually overcome. I would be surprised if both types do not, in due course, gain enviable reputations for SAR. I would criticize those who chose both for this most challenging role, when neither type had previously gained much operational experience in any role. As a certain senior politician has remarked recently "this is no time for novices".

If proper contract administration by the customer had been in place this sad situation would have been most unlikely. But had it happened, penalties would have bought an alternative at no cost to the customer - MCA.