PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 19:35
tottigol

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
430 and Devil, I can think of at least two outstanding individuals who are part of the Certificate Standards folks.
One is an older (only by age) cavalry type from upstate NY and one is a (relatively) younger one from South Texas.
I only wish the rest were up to par.

Devil, we only know of the IFR twin(s) that crashed, but how many were able to get back home after encountering IIMC, just because they had the equipment and the training/mindset to use the equipment?
Climb, Confess, Check, Communicate.

How do you do that in a single pilot VFR only aircraft, do you rely on inconsistent training?

We mention twins because twins generally come with IFR equipment and an autopilot.
The day (or better, the night) we are able to come up with a single with enough HP and equipment to have a "panic/level-the-rotor and climb-go direct" button, and with enough useful load to carry a patient (we already have two passengers) and enough fuel beyond 10 miles, then I'll consider singles for night EMS work.
I don't know you guys, but I flew enough times from SLC to Price in Carbon County with a 206 @ night to age prematurely.