PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peru,Chile or Ecuador
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 19:28
EagleA25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

SW_US
The naturalization process for family members of Peruvians is not as "facile" as you might think, especially if you were not born in Peru and you’re over 18. You have a family right, but not a "birth" right, becoming a citizen might even be impossible. But even if considered for citizenship, I know from one friend who is a permanent resident here they might ask you to resign your US citizenship for your Peruvian... which no one in his normal state of mind would want to do.
Instead of citizenship, try permanent resident based on family. That is enough to work and live in Peru. The process can and will take a few weeks, though. Paperpushers here in Peru "toman su tiempo, amigo"... everything is taking a lot longer here...!
You will need at least an CPL IFR ME, and for FO the minimums of what I heard last (for foreigners and permanent residents both applicable) is 2500 hrs total time but no time in jets or multi.
You need to get your logbook stamped by the local FSDO to convert your license and confirm you flight time. The process of conversion can usually be done “parallel” to you training once you’re in the company. It includes taking the ATPL exam (99’ FAA database, available and encouraged to be taken also in English) and then the practical in the Simulator and on the line.
Spanish might not be the problem for you, but for the company is an issue, not because you are able to pick it up quickly, but the company can not risk investing a type rating on an A319 (FO's go through a full Type rating course for SIC ratings) and 4-6 months of pay only to find out you did not pick "it" up "as fast as you thought". LAN Holding's company language is "Casellano" and there is very heavy resistance to change that (You would not even be able to ask for vacation or time off with the OPS secretary if you don't know the native language) Sorry!
Hope that helps

Last edited by EagleA25; 16th Oct 2008 at 19:31. Reason: Something... I don't know how it got int there