PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Keratoconus thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 19:02
GSJMH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keratoconus

Keratoconus (a progressive distortion of the clear window of the eye) can be stopped by means of corneal collagen cross-linking with riboflavin (C3-R). C3-R is an out-patient treatment (it does not require a stay in hospital), but it takes about a year for the full effect to take. It is the only treatment that can arrest the progress of keratoconus. Whether the CAA will approve remains to be seen, but my understanding presently is that they will require evidence that the corneal shape has stabilised before issuing a conditional certificate.

Keratoconus is progressive. It probably affects about 1 in 7000 people. If left untreated the vision may deteriorate until a corneal graft is needed. Corneal grafts are far from perfect: apart from the risk of rejection, about 45% of people who have a corneal graft still need a rigid contact lens to meet the UK driving standard!

I am an eye surgeon and I have been doing C3-R since it was first approved in Europe. Today I treated a patient who has been turned down for a Class I certificate. I do not think that the treatment is available on the NHS yet.

Last edited by GSJMH; 16th Oct 2008 at 19:29. Reason: adding explanation