PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 24hr Bottle To Throttle Rule Inbound?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 16:27
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago at a secret SH base in Hampshire the station was having an open day and had laid on all the revelries and air show stuff that they could. That morning an Italian transport, (type long lost in the crevices of an aging mind), pitched up. Lunchtime came and, being the outstanding hosts we were back then they were invited to the Sgts. Mess for lunch which they gratefully accepted.

So, there we are, we have our lunch and I'm sat opposite one of the crew who is craning his neck looking, obviously for something, along the whole table. Again, being an outstanding host, I asked our guest what I could help him with. He responded "Wine?". It turns out that in their messes at home they have carafes of wine on the table at lunchtime.

Upon further questioning, (since it might be possible the rear-crew might enjoy a tipple I was sure the two winged gods at the pointed end wouldn't), it turns out that a glass or two of wine over lunch before an afternoon trip was de riguer for both front and rear crew. We pointed out that the bar was open and they could buy some if they wished. Off they toddled and came back with a nice big glass of wine each. It was later confirmed by our two winged gods that theirs had done the same.

An hour or two later they were giving their display...