PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish hijack...
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 15:54
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport Security has nothing to do with airplane security. It is a farce. This incident shows that no amount of shoe removal, liquids rejection and other intrusive activities can stop a determined hijacker.
Few hijackings succeed since we have learned that the perps do not have the guns or bombs they claim to have and even if they did, the crew and passengers are better off if they tackle the hijackers and stop them in their tracks.
A pity we did not learn that lesson prior to 9/11.
The last successful hijacking I know about was in Spain. the hijacker had a tv remote that he said was a detonator for a bomb in his suitcase. Of course he did not have a bomb, but the airline decided to humour him.
My point again is that airport security does not protect us from hijackers. In many ways it makes it easier for them.
I cannot abide the idiots who think it works, especially those who work in the airline industry who surely know better. It was a spur, in the US, for the establishment of the world's biggest government department, Homeland Security, which was based on the successful Nazi example and has been used to take control of millions of cowards, and in case I was not clear, with no benefit and no protection for the traveling public.