PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating recommended minima?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 15:11
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "brave" bit I allude to is the IMCR pilot ignoring the AIP recommendation and coming below 500' on an ILS. Although legal, I would think he would be on very dodgy ground for not following AIP recommendations in the same way my car manufacturer "recommends" I change my brake pads at x mm.
I dont see any similarity in the analogy what so ever.

The recommendation so far as IMC pilots is concerned probably derives from the assumption that most IMC rated pilots will not be flying to minima "regularly". In fact in would be just as sensible to apply the same recommendation to IR pilots - as there are many who also do not fly to minima "regularly". In my opinion the CAA has no business including a recommendation in the ANO in the first place. Where do you stop? We would recoomend a pilot who has not flown in IMC for more than three months should not do so. The minima is an absolute minima more fool anyone who operates below their personal minima based on their currency - it matters not one bit whether they have an IMC rating or IR. Have you read some of the accident reports involving non current pilots with an IR?

The piece of paper is part of the licence that gives you privileges to operate in certain conditions.
You need to read what I said, not what you think I said.

I'm not talking about bravado or "personal minima",
I think you were the one who mentioned "brave".

There is a deal of difference between brave and stupid. I simply feel you choose the wrong word.

Anyway as IO says it has been done to death this one.

So far as I am concerned if you are CURRENT and have an IMC or IR rating you are entitled to fly to minima if you wish.