PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Another Day in the Life.....
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 10:54
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sis - first of all I would take issue with this type of treatment of any nationality. In fact, if that person had been Sri Lankan/Filipino etc I have no doubt that she would be treated even worse.

The fact is, in this situation a woman was arrested and is being detained for a period of weeks (soon to be months) because she 'insulted' a security guard. He happens to be senior and so has the power to create the issue.

My point is that in the 'Western World' (your words) this would NOT happen. Security or customs might be able to make your life difficult for a few hours but that would be the limit. If you were arrested you not be held for weeks or months while waiting for your 'punishment'.

What troubles have you experienced?? My guess is an hour or two with customs while entering Europe or the US. Hardly a comparison with this case.

Was she drunk and disorderly - I hardly think so. Even the case against her does not mention this. The case against her is regarding insulting the security guard. Anywhere else it would be dismissed or dealt with quickly and fairly. This is a case of an Emirati getting upset and using the 'justice' system to make her pay.

And yes - in the West if this happened to an a 'non-westerner' there would be an uproar and cries of racism. I could provide a few hundred examples from Canada alone.