PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo!
Thread: First solo!
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2008, 08:05
JEM60

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I soloed at Booker after a mere 4 and a half hours!!!. I had done some ATC gliding some 17 years previous. I have to say that it came completely out of the blue, and, because it was so sudden, although I felt reasonably confident and competent, I cannot say that I enjoyed it overly much!!, although the shock of being on my own had disappeared by the time I had joined finals [always loved approaches!!]. This is NO WAY a critiscism of my instructor,ex Vulcan man Kevin Dearman, who was brilliant, and who perhaps had more faith in me than I did!! Be wary, young man, of getting overconfident. I worry about people who say that their circuits are always perfect and their confidence is 100%. I once admitted to my instructor that flying slightly scared me, and he replied 'Good. Because you will therefore treat it with the respect it deserves'. Excellent advice!!!
Best of luck, I started powered at 33 years old, and therefore it was merely a hobby. I hope your career is long. Regards, John [slightly jealous]