PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines B737-800 tries to take off from Taxiway in HKG
Old 15th Oct 2008, 20:10
bluefish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm... I don't work for HKA, but I do operate out of HKG.

It seems to me there are to separate issues here.

1) There are problems with the HKA management.

2) Fatigue, taxiway-layout and exceptional runway procedures compared to daytime.

2 alone could have caused the incident. 1 probably contributed to the problem. 2 just just caused 1 to be brought out because of a long time pressure that has built up with what seems to be a long standing and acute issue.

Naming nationalities has nothing to do with the whole thing. I've seen incompetent and dangerous "western" airline managers also. This is clearly a case where blindness for profits has taken over sustainable and safe practices.

The real question is, what is the price for taking risks? It seems like airlines around the world are involved in a sort of experiment how cheap you can make the operation before it starts costing human lives. The sad thing about it all is that useless managers have a tendency to "show up" time after time, even after they have brought one company to the brink of disaster. All for profits, not realizing that the real profit is to be made from a sustainable operation.