PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How often did you have to divert to an alternate A/D ?
Old 15th Oct 2008, 20:06
bucket_and_spade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to do it on my CPL QXC in Arizona. Plan was to fly from Goodyear to Tucson to Yuma and then back to Goodyear. Was on the Tucson - Yuma leg with a row of CBs way off on the horizon (seemingly over Yuma).

Slowly the cloud started to roll in and I had to keep descending - when I got to a few thousand feet above the ground (having been originally at around 8000'), still with a long way to go and the wx still getting worse, I thought sod it and decided it wasn't going to happen today.

It was pretty straighforward to turn and head back towards Goodyear. I knew I needed two land-aways to complete the CPL requirements (I'd easily meet the distance requirement) so after initially heading towards Goodyear I decided to jink left a bit and divert to Glendale, which was something like 10 miles further on, on the outskirts of Phoenix city, and ending up there would tick all of the CPL boxes. Job done

Not a very exciting story as I was fat with fuel and there was no drama - just a bumpy ride back what with the weather and being fairly low of hot desert terrain!