PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2008, 14:30
Troglodita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Night recency

Griffo,

After the recent accident in Dubai I assume that you are inferring that 90 days is far too infrequent! It probably is! I am not familiar with the Maersk Rig where the accident occurred but would be interested to learn whether it was fully CAP 437 compliant - in particular with reference to D value and 10% outboard aiming circle offset. Maersk are usually spot on but were they in this instance? If so - harsh but truism from old Mike E at GHC was always "You are only as good as your last flight!"

What we do in Warri/Escravos is ensure that no crew goes on to nights until they have flown 3 x night deck t/o's and landings and have been co-jo on 3 more. They then work a 6 week hitch being on night standby approximately once a week. After 6 weeks leave - same again - i.e. the recency is at least once prior to a 42 day stint. It is not unusual for individuals to complete 2 x recency flights per hitch. We use the less well lit locations and also practice rig radar GPS approaches at the same time.

Once again - this is no guarantee of proficiency but combined with 2 x OPCI's and 6 hours of annual Sim is probably substantially more than most offshore operators achieve.

As Mama Put pointed out - we don't fly night CAT so rely on Training Only flights!

The Oil Company has accepted that this minimum level of revenue training is not negotiable (certainly not downwards!)

Trog