PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is This Really Worth It, What's Your Opinion?
Old 15th Oct 2008, 10:24
alexpilot2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is This Really Worth It, What's Your Opinion?

I feel this is the best section to write this post, so apologies in advance if you feel this section is irrelevant.

At the moment with so many airlines going bust, pilot jobs are like gold dust, every newly trained pilot has worked their a*** off for so long and has undergone that steep learning curve to enable that dream career, so they too can get their wings, and one day bring the left seat just that little bit closer.

I too, is on my 'own' track to the ATPL route, difference is, is that i am doing this modular, module by module one at a time, and as and when i can afford another lesson, lets take it theres a lot of hours to be gained and its very expensive, there's not one day that goes by where i imagine myself in the cockpit of the 737-800 taking passengers to their destination, i know its a long way off but realistically, i could have an ATPL in 10 years (id be 34), but with all the havoc within the airlines at the moment, is there going to be any work if i qualify, it seems that everyone wants to be a pilot at the moment, and realistically half of them are actually doing something about it, but with so many pilots qualifying and looking for work, is there even going to be any work, enough work to count for £60,000 worth of training, will i get offered just the dribs and drabs of the sector, or is the Cessna and the Piper Arrow just going to be my fait? i am determined to reach the ATPL and fly the jets, but in 10 years time do you recon the industry might be a little more inviting to newly trained pilots, to me its like saying how longs a piece of string as you cant predict the future, shall i just aim for nothing more than a CPL and save myself the money, stress & worry, and if more pilots are needed at that time just apply for additional training to get me to the ATPL.

Is it really worth it at the moment aiming for the ATPL?

(An ATPL is the ultimate license to have but at £60,000 with potentially no return on work in the future seems a little expensive)

Need your advice please.