PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2008, 10:24
BeGoneTFN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasonable Overtime

Does anyone believe that one extra shift a fortnight or nearly one whole extra month i.e 26 days a year constitutes a reasonable amount of overtime. Perhaps it should be renamed forced-time as we all can expect to be press ganged into compliance.

I appreciate that the current EBA doesn't clarify what reasonable o/t is exactly, however its one thing to state that this might be 1 shift every two weeks when the place is staffed properly. Its another proposition completely when the place is on the bones of its arse and you are expected to show one extra shift every two weeks for the next 5 years or until management finally gets sacked and some rebuilding takes place.

Perhaps this is what ASA are on about when they talk about staff turnover every 5 years, they will run you into the ground with overtime at which point you will be begging to get out.

This to me does not look to good in terms of work/life balance.

I am curious to know how much extra overtime the bean counters in the AWB are compelled to undertake.

I would also be interested to know if any other safety critical workplace would expect such an enormous amount of O/T undertaken on an involuntary basis?

BgTFN

Last edited by BeGoneTFN; 15th Oct 2008 at 12:02. Reason: wanted to ramble on a bit more