PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pensions (Split from Pay 2009 thread)
Old 15th Oct 2008, 09:14
250 kts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pension is something we all really need to think long and hard about. OK there's a shortfall but we're living in troubled times, there's a downturn in all investment packages at the moment.
This is not about what is happening at the moment but about the long term underlying contributory rate as you would know if you've been to a briefing.

Why should an MP (easily replacebale) deserve a final salary pension scheme and an ATCO not?
A very naive and not helpful comparison. Fancy their level of job security??

f that involves NATS being nationalised by the government before it goes into administration, so be it.
So you really want to work for a bankrupt organisation. And then be subject to the govt 2% pay limit? Then we would go through the inevitable of being put up for sale again with, I suspect no influence on new owners this time. Then all bets really are off on the pension you currently have.

As an example one of the uys will be £11k worse off
Based on what? Is he being realistic-I think not.

I have used around 3.5% rise/annum for the next 10 years which is when I intend to go. The top at a band 5 (please let's not get into the banding now) would have pushed up to £127k. So if RPI averaged 3% over that period I would not be one penny worse off than I am now. Of course if I really think we will get 4.5% then the figures will be much worse. But is that really going to happen with nothing left to sell in upcoming pay deals.