PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2008, 06:51
Troglodita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Night recency

Why can't this be practised in the simulator in total safety?
BBO - As good as Level 'D' 6 axis Simulators are these days, they are still very limited in their abilty to realistically simulate offshore landings either day or night! They are however as we all know absolutely invaluable for teaching and practicing procedures and emergencies improving exponentially the confidence and abilities of Crews to survive malfunctions especially at night or in IMC (or both)

I really don't think there is a viable substitute for 90 day recency for Crews being rostered for Night Medical Emergency cover.
(The 90 day recency requirement is not actually legally necessary for flying at night if the Crew have a valid instrument rating but I personally believe it is absolutely essential to maintain adequate skill levels for night deck operations)

To minimise exposure during training due to the lack of real airborne SAR capabilities, we operate only to platforms or rigs close to shore with rescue coverage provided by surface vessels present in the offshore field.

Actual night call outs are now thankfully few and far between (with CNL at least) following the BDZ accident and we no longer see Crews dispatched to pick up "Medevacs" who have "Lost their appetite" (not made up - it actually used to happen)

You make lots of valid points - I look forward to other replies.

Trog