PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2008, 22:13
Hussar 54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philipat

Agree with you entirely - the gangsters are out to make money out of AZ....Said this in my first post and in the one above.....

But the law is quite clear about what EU member governments are allowed to do and what they're not allowed to do.....And there are plenty more blatant examples of illegal government subsidies and involvement than this particular AZ example.....

Is AZ a basket case that deserves to be put out of its agony ? Perhaps....

Will it help the consumer if it is ? Probably not....

Will thousands of people in the Logistics industry be put out of work if Deutsche Bahn and SNCF continue to make expensive acquisitions and subsidise losses at their non-rail subsidiaries ? Probably....

Will non-French nationals have to continue to pay higher utility bills to make up for lower, governmernt set and regulated tariffs that EDF can charge in France ? Bet your life they will....

So although I agree with your thoughts about Berlusconi and his gangster friends in the rescue only for their own benefit, I'm not sure about the EU's motives here....

So let's change the law and leave the Italian taxpayers to worry or decide what they want their own government to do with their own tax contributions and, in this case, the sordid aftermath and repercussions - or leave the law as it is but apply it to all those cases affecting all Europeans...I

As I understand it, there are still plenty of government owned carriers flying in the EU - each and every one a possible threat to fair competition. So why not just allow the Italian Government to make a rescue package available to AZ similar to those now done for the banks - at least this would prevent Berlusconi et al from raping state funds yet again....