PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHILST ITS QUIET what do people do in the spare time??
Old 14th Oct 2008, 11:03
ted baker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enjoy it whilst it lasts.........

Seriously is your job secure (difficult question to answer in present times but a worthy of serious consideration)??

If it is then I'd seriously make the most of the quiet times to do things for yourself (and your familiy) as, unless you have the dream job that really only involves working 2 days a month for the rest of your career (if only!), its unlikely to stay that way for long.

I don't work for a LCC before you ask but am constantly nudging max duty hours and getting close to max montly flying hours and simply don't have a life outside of work (day off today back on earlies tomorrow). I'm not complaining honest, as I'm glad to have a job in the current climate, but I have very little 'quality time' with wife and kids.

If you're still set on working yourself into an early grave then I'm sure you'll find something to do.

I have an HGV licence as a fall back job should the worst happen and if you know your days off are secure then a bit of driving can be fiitted in around work (although should you subsequently be involved in an incident you may find yourself in hot water if you'd been driving on your 'off' days).
If you're spending lots of time in the gym why not look into qualifying as a personal trainer? Pleantly of work my local gym and the hours are very flexible.

If I was in your shoes I'd
a) Spend more time with wife, kids and especially my Parents (they won't be around forever)
b) Get fitter (I've always wanted to do a Triathalon)
c) Improve my Golf handicap
d) Do up the house
e) Do up the two house's we are letting out (instead of paying others to do the work)
f) Train for another decent back up career (Plumbers are in serious demand I understand, and good money too).

Ted

Last edited by ted baker; 14th Oct 2008 at 11:05. Reason: smelling pistakes