PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHILST ITS QUIET what do people do in the spare time??
Old 14th Oct 2008, 09:58
chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHILST ITS QUIET what do people do in the spare time??

As per the title, I am finding the market to be extremely quiet at the moment and only seem to be getting a couple of calls a month to fly from my company? I did write on another post similar to this but thought I'd start a new thread...

I find its extremely difficult whilst being full time employed to gain other employment whilst not flying. I'd love to set up my own company and generate a secondary income but don't have the money at present to do this. I have looked at driving jobs but usually you need to get yourself a PCV licence or an HGV one and that costs around £800. I have approached recruitment agencies and these people tend to look at you blankly when you tell them your a pilot and you want to work in your spare time as an office bod (or something like that).

As i said in my previous post I was thinking of selling my soul to earn some extra dosh, but have done this already to my company!!!

Don't get me wrong I love my job and its great knowing I am being paid not to do much and I am not complaining honestly!! But am one of those people that like to keep busy. I have completed all my games on the X Box, I have cut the grass too many times, my small weedy arms are beginning to generate muscles from visiting the gym, I read a lot (about my aircraft)......not too sure what else to do. I was thinking of becoming a pimp but I don't think this would go down well with the wife

I haven't got an instructors rating and not willing to splash out on a rating at the moment, especially the way the credit crunch is hitting us all at the mo.

So my question is:

1) why do you do in your spare time when not flying
2) Any suggestions what to do?