PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pensions (Split from Pay 2009 thread)
Old 13th Oct 2008, 22:23
PH-UKU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to work weekends/nights and get paid UHP (and for ATCO's even if they've not held a validation for 20 years they still get NOS) but there is no requirement in my job, so I can't.
Air.Farce.1 your view of the company and work done outside of your tiny little area is myopic, there's an awful lot more involved in an ATC operation than just the bit done sitting in front of a radar screen.

BD
Well why not take the chip off your shoulder, invest your RAF pension, get a licence and go operational then?

How many active controllers in NATS ? 1400 ?
How many ATSAs ? 800 ?
How many engineers ? 800 ?
That leaves an awful lot of incredibly important support jobs. I know how really important they are because my job as an ATCO has been made SO very much easier this last 3 years, obviously as a result of all this fantastic support. Thank you thank you.

However, how many of these incredibly important pixies are actually non-essential blunties or middle managers doing job-creation $hite, spending lots of works time browsing the net, organising dances and incredibly important award ceremonies, making propaganda videos, PR guff, re-ordering desks, studying coffee contracts, redesigning spreadsheets, visions, destinations, buying gerbils etc..etc..?

A lot of 'our people' only earn what they earn because they work in "Air Traffic Control" and get off on reward-by-association. We all know that the sexy part of the job is actually pushing tin - but guess what folks, it really does take skill and a hell of a lot of training to do it well. Sadly many in NATS don't even know that we are a 24hr operation, and even less what ATC means - yet .... many seem to resent those that work unsociable hours, as if we are some untidy part of the organisation.

Anyway - away from Bluntie-land. How do others go about protecting their pensions ... ?

BP Tanker Drivers

BAA Strike threat

Is this the same Prospect ... ?

BA Pilots #1

A whiff of hypocrisy .. or deja vu ? .... surely not ?

BA injects £500m in return for salary cap ?