PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icao Frozen Atpl
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2008, 05:02
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before trying to find a place to study you really need to talk to the Jordanian mob and find out just what jurisdictions' and/or country's exam system *is* acceptable. You already know that the FAA exam system - at least at ATPL level - is not. No good shopping around for somewhere until you know the 'somewheres' that are acceptable *and* those places that are not acceptable. You should also confirm whether or not the FAA CPL & IR are acceptable. If not then you will have to convert to some other country's CPL & IR.

I can speak from experience with regard to UK, Australian & FAA ATPL exams and the FAA's exam is very, very simple so that's probably why they don't like it. I imagine that anywhere that bases their system on the FAA one will also not be acceptable.

You might find the Australian exams a better option than the JAA ones. Fewer exams, no required 6 months of school and I think a bit cheaper. Even if you do a full time course for the exams it's measured in a couple of months or so, not six! You could do either system's exams through self study and then do a short exam prep. course (required under JAA anyway). Depends on how much you're able to learn on your own.

I can say that if you've only done the FAA CPL & IR exams then you will be in for a rude shock when you see what's involved in the Oz or JAA syllabus.

Some points of difference between Oz & JAA with, I think, converting to Oz a much cheaper & simpler process eg exams are ~A$60 or A$70.

Oz has a single conversion exam to convert a foreign licence to the local equivalent.

I can't remember but you might have to do the Oz IR exam to convert to the Oz IR.

Seven Oz ATPL exams vs fourteen under JAA. To be fair, the JAA ATPL exams will cover you for IR & CPL theory. I'd still rather do a single Oz conversion exam & an IR exam + the Oz ATPL exams though.

No minimum flight training time to convert the IR vs. 15 hrs in JAA land.

No requirement to pass an expensive JAR initial Class 1 medical. The Oz Class 1 is cheaper although just to do the test you only need to pass a Class 2 medical so cheaper again!

Go to the CASA website for lots of useful information about converting to the Oz licence. Flight crew licensing FAQs

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 13th Oct 2008 at 05:25.