PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air sets sights on major Bahrain maintenance facility
Old 13th Oct 2008, 04:59
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EK2EYengineer

I am looking forward to seeing the changes you mention in the near future.

I take exception to your comments regarding employee loyalty. My history of comments on this forum reflect those of an extremely loyal GF employee. The question is how you define loyalty. I don't feel that I show loyalty by kissing ass or fawning any status quo, although I will go out of my way to give credit where credit is due. Besides flying the airplane, and trying to do so in the most economic manner and with an eye towards customer service when interacting with passengers or supporting my cabin crew, I do my part in other areas to try to make GF a better company wherever and whenever I feel I can be of assistance. Why? Because I want this Company to do well and in turn, offer me a long-term fulfilling career.

In my internet surfing, I sometimes check out sites like GULF AIR Reviews and Gulf Air Passenger Opinions about Gulf Air product and Gulf Air service standards. I have noticed an overall downward trend in the comments, and as someone with the above-stated objectives, I am concerned.

In fact, I sometimes wonder whether the Company depends entirely too much on employee loyalty. I feel sorry for my cabin crew who confront passenger's complaints on a daily basis: "seat is broken, headset doesn't work, entertainment system doesn't work, reading light doesn't work, lavatory does not work, no white wine, out of stock on hot or cold towels in Business or First Class, no amenity packs available . . ." the list of complaints goes on ad nauseum and for an extended period of time for the same aircraft to which the only response our cabin crew can give is "so sorry about that sir." ANYBODY who takes pride in their company or their job would find this disheartening.

The Company's strategy to try attract customers is to keep underbidding the competition on airfares, simply because we cannot compete on service and product (those are not my words, those are the words of our customers). I find this disheartening. We are becoming a low-fare airline, while maintaining a high-cost structure. I don't think that this is the best strategy that will bring an economic turn-around for the Company.

So please don't question my loyalty. Besides, it will take considerably more for this Company to prosper than just employee loyalty, and in this area, the Company is quite wealthy.

Last edited by Panama Jack; 14th Oct 2008 at 17:35.