PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo!
Thread: First solo!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2008, 18:44
AdamC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First solo!

Just done my first solo today at Humberside (EGNJ) and I just have to say it's the most breathtaking, exhilarating and most exciting thing I've ever done in my life!

My very first time in the circuit, infact, and my very first time at landing came just 40 minutes before my first solo. The weather was right, calm winds, 10km vis and really nice autumn day!

So my instructor climbed out, I checked my DI, temps and pressures and quickly gave the ATIS a listen just to see if there was any change - No, everythings still perfect. My mouth began to get dry, I reach over to the PTT and transmit "Solo 05, southern apron, first solo, request taxi" - A few seconds later, a response comes "Solo 05, hello again follow the C152 taxi hold bravo" - Of course, I repeat.

Once I approach the hold, I hang back a good 7-8 meters from the C152 ahead, ATC kindly asks the aircraft to move over as he would like me to get out first before commercial traffic is inbound. The pilot responded "Well I can move about another 5ft forward" so the very very helpful ATCO said "CALLSIGN move to the left, there is a PA28 behind you to pass your number 2 for departure" reluctantly the pilot moved and I was given a line up clearance.. My heart really started to pound now, I performed my pre-takeoff checks.. Checked the DI and called ready for departure and sneakily asked for a left hand circuit which was approved

"Solo 05, runway 21 cleared for takeoff, surface winds 220/05 knots, left hand circuit" - Ooo, it's really happening.. "Cleared takeoff 21, solo 05" - Full power is applied and registered, T's and P's are fine, airspeed just passed 40 and increasing nicely.. 60 knots, I start to rotate, I feel how different the aircraft is with just 1POB. 300ft, T's and P's still fine, flaps would come up if I had any. 500ft, gently start the left turn onto crosswind, still climbing gently to the circuit height of 1000ft. 1000ft comes, I turn downwind, once established on a heading of 030 and I was happy I made the downwind call to tower - I was told to continue on downwind and he'll call me when it's ok to turn base.. Ok, so I plod along nicely doing my checks as we go along, I complete my checks and expect a call any second. Then I hear a A321 inbound a R22 helicopter just departing from runway 03, makes sense to me now.. About 4 miles from the threshold I was finally told to turn base and report final, with me being number 1.

I started the turn onto base, then onto final still at 1000ft because of the range. Once "established" if you like, carb heat went out, power to 1500rpm and 2 stage of flap. Nicely setup, 2 red 2 white on the PAPI which is always a good sign. Reported final, given a landing clearance - A few minor adjustments with the power for height, then my heart really started to pound when I realised there is no instructor to takeover if I mess up - Soon, the nerves where forgotten as I passed the perimeter fence, dropped all the power and made a fantastic landing right on top of the numbers! - "Solo 05, congratulations on your first solo Captain, backtrack and vacate Alpha" "Thanks a lot Backtrack and vacate A, solo 05".

Backtracked, parked on the apron and met my instructor.

Needless to say, I've had a smile on my face since this happened at 13:30L time and I doubt the smile will be going for a long whileeeeee.