PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of networking
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2008, 18:41
mikehammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...oh come on. PLease. Honestly Guppy, the only way I could see you getting a job is from some friend that feels sorry for you and just gives you place where you can't hurt anyone and you can still wiggle the controls once in a while.
Please desist and keep a more mature tone than the above.

Anyway, the first chap on my course to get a job some years ago now got his interview through a family acquaintance. I take nothing away from him, after that he had to pass interview, group tests, sim test etc, but the initial lead came from knowing someone.

I got my first aerial photo flying job by hearing at the local flying club that there was a job going, so I applied. If I had not bothered with the flying club then I'd have missed this information.

My current job as FO I got because someone else, with whom I trained many years ago, and with whom I became good friends, put my CV on the right desk. This led to an interview etc.

So I think networking is perhaps the wrong phrase - I'd have kept in touch with these people anyway, not just so they could one day maybe put work my way, but aviation is a small place - people get to know you and that can sometimes lead you to opportunities.