PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2008, 17:38
TomBola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loav8r,

If you fly S76 I think Bristow have most of them in Lagos. They had a couple in Escravos, but I think that may have changed now they have the Agbami contract. They also have a couple in Port Harcourt. From what you read here, it's obvious morale is low at all of them. CHC has a lot of S76 in Port Harcourt, but morale is also low because nobody knows what's going to happen between them and Aero and what happens now Bristow has the Agbami contract.

There are quite a lot of S76s in Angola now, the pay is good and most people seem to enjoy it there because there is a life after work and not the constant worry of a militant attack. It was a much more dangerous country than Nigeria but in the areas where helicopters support the offshore industry there is now a measure of stability, unlike Nigeria.

Actually Nigeria labour law says you can only employ a person on a casual contract for 3 months. What most companies in Nigeria do is to employ someone as a casual, then terminate his employment and re-employ him/her . The other favourite trick is to offer work to contracting companies for casual (usually junior) staff, many of whom they employed themselves before and who are now in much lower paid employment with no job security . How any company can expect someone to work 7 days a week and do a safe job in the conditions here is beyond me. Sadly, I'm not surprised they get away with it as our NCAA is poor at enforcing most regulations. Most foreign companies here claim to follow regulations as part of their business ethos, but in reality that's just hogwash

You takes their money, you makes your choice.