PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pensions (Split from Pay 2009 thread)
Old 12th Oct 2008, 10:33
eglnyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am well aware that without operational ATC staff I don't have a job. It is quite clear however that many operational ATC staff don't think the opposite. Unless you can control air traffic with no equipment, no building, without anything that has to be bought and paid for and are willing to do so without any pay or pension then you also need the non operational staff.

However most non operational jobs can be outsourced and it is also possible for projects to be cancelled or postponed so non operational staff do not enjoy the same job security. Whilst pensions are a big deal for all staff they aren't as big a deal as having a job. That is the background to the union's position and why they aren't necessarily fighting as hard as you'd like to keep the pension scheme.

As for sticking together I would point out that it was the operational staff with good job security who took the blood money to change the redundancy scheme to the detriment of those likely to be made redundant and I didn't see any operational ATC staff fighting against the abolition of the 40 year rule once an excuse was made to keep it for ATC staff.