PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS Help (Long post!)
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2008, 08:07
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
The interview went well, and the person that interviewed me seemed impressed with what I had done previously (ATC for 5 years, reached CWO, 2 Flying Scholarships from the cadets and Air League, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, various camps and work experience within the RAF). It wasn’t really an interview, he just got me to expand a bit more on what I’d put on the form.

Perhaps the fact that you'd already had 2 flying scholarships might have worked against you? 'Over qualified' for the new dumbed-down UAS syllabus?

Good luck and keep trying!

I was a UAS recruiter once. It was obvious to me that the students were pretty good at working out who would fit in with the UAS way of life best, so I involved the senior folk at Freshers' Fairs. They would also see off the utterly unsuitable in a rather more robust way than we were permitted to. When the forms came in, there was a secret pencil code on the top right corner which gave me a pretty accurate thumbnail of the applicant - so I would then 'arrange' the 2-man interviews accordingly, or so they hoped. For example, a number of spots meant 'A bit of a spotter', 'J' meant it was some young lady they'd cornered who they wanted the Junta to interview, 'D' meant Daddy was in the RAF etc etc.

But actually that was all a bit of a laugh - all interviewees were of course treated the same. And we didn't always use the 'which way is the pen pointing' decision making method either, although it was fun twiddling pens around to see whether the students had briefed the applicant and to watch his/her reaction!

I'll never forget my first interview - the applicant could bore for Britain! Heaven know how he was ever accepted for interview; I did the first half and handed over to my more experienced colleague for the second half whilst I read what he'd written..."Has all the animation of a stuffed cabbage without any of the virtues".

Despite what some might think, UAS interviews are very honest.

Although one UAS boss was rather startled when he asked "You've heard what the UAS can do for you, what do you have to offer?" to a female candidate. Whereupon she said "Let me show you" - and peeled off her clothes. He'd been set up by the QFIs who'd hired a professional stripper; she actually did pretty well at the interview as well, I gather, and she thought it a great giggle. Obviously this was all in the days before the PC-miseries began to hold sway!