PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash In Bettystown Ireland
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2008, 16:49
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
helicopter reported down in Ireland (EI-SBM)
Views: 14,163 Replies: 99

Helicopter Crash In Bettystown Ireland (N933BH)
Views: 28,631 Replies: 197

Granted, two completely different accidents in Ireland, but just interesting to see twice the interest.
Not being familar with the first event, my comment should only be considered partially informed. That said, the Bettystown event seems to have several otherwise unrelated elements, each of which merits its own "interest group" for commenting. Probably two or three distinct elements of this flight would merit their own thread. The fact these these otherwise unrelated all were associated with a spectacular crash, puts everything in one place for comment. No surprise to me that the comments have occurred.

I've learned that crashes usually occurr because of the combined effect of more than one out of place/wrong element. It would not seem like maintenance was a factor in this crash, but I certainly can see more than one other element combining to create an unsafe situation. Thank goodness it was not a lot worse!

Speaking personally, I've been holding back quite a few opinions on this one, for the very reasons confirmed, of the use of posts by the media.

The owner/passenger of the helicopter, and it's pilot, are not high on my "want to get to know" list.

Pilot DAR