PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vestibular Neuritis
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2008, 16:03
Hobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regard to 'fullness' in the ear, mentioned in some posts above, I experienced this quite badly around 1988 in my left ear after a particularly nasty bout of flu (real flu not a cold). As I described it to my GP it was as if some cotton wool was stuck to the inside of my eardrum. I could clear them ok flying and hearing test OK. Had them syringed and some wax scraped out with a long thin spatula instrument to no avail. Told nothing wrong. The sensation persisted and was variable in intensity. Return to GP about a month later, syringe and scrape and again told nothing wrong.

Explained all this at next licence medical. AME put me in dark cubicle with very bright light in my closed mouth. Looked in my ear and announced I had a clearly visible lump of catarrh stuck to the inside of my eardrum, which would have probably travelled up the Eustacian tube during the flu.

She explained this was not unusual and that it may come off within a week or stay there for the rest of my life. Well, it feels like it's still there sometimes, but doesn't bother me any more.