PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Fossett missing - Final NTSB Report
Old 11th Oct 2008, 10:46
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will find with the 22 if you set the aircraft in a 45 degree bank (or whatever you like) take your hand of the side stick it will go round and round forever - well at least until it runs out of fuel or you feel sick.

Most certified aircraft are very stable in roll and pitch - after all that is what the designers want these days.

Move towards aerobatic aircraft and that of course changes. However, even things like the FA200, my namesake, is pretty stable in roll and pitch. In contrast the Extra (in which I only have a couple of dozen hours) seemed to me to be stable in neither. The Bambi (on permit) which I have also flown given that it is not aerobatic is, IMO, completly unstable, but fun. I wouldnt want one however.

(Edited to add: I suppose stability is a relative term. If you havent flown very many types an FA200 compared with say a Cessna will seem unstable in roll and pitch. If the aircraft is badly rigged (always a possibility) some one who is familiar with the type will have agood idea whether the rigging is off.)