PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good place for tailwheel training please?
Old 11th Oct 2008, 04:25
Aerohooligan

Location: Somewhere that looks a lot better when I close my eyes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redcliffe Aero Club

I did my tailwheel with Gerry Dick at Redcliffe. Booked it through Redcliffe Aero Club (+61732031777).

Gerry used to be an importer for American Champion Aircraft and has a brand spanking new Decathlon and even newer Citabria sitting in his hangar (the Citabria I flew had 210 hours airframe total time just over a month ago). He has a wonderfully relaxed teaching style and seems to be one of a rare breed of instructor: those with vast industry experience and a genuine love for what they do. He's a very skilful pilot to boot.

Also, you'll get plenty of practice handling taildraggers in somewhat challenging conditions, as Redcliffe often has strong winds in the afternoon and a pretty much permanent crosswind. That's a good thing without a doubt, because the biggest challenge in flying taildraggers is ground handling and takeoffs and landings. Everything else is (almost) the same. Don't worry though as Caboolture aerodrome, which has much more forgiving meteorological conditions, is only 5-10min flying time away, so you'd go there for the first few circuits (the aerobatic training area is, helpfully enough, right in between the two).

I'd highly recommend checking it out.