PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2008, 21:39
TripleBravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xolodenko,

I think I can imagine what you feel. I have been to a crash site where a friend of mine fell out of the sky including another person. When I arrived, there were just a crater and some really tiny pieces left, nothing more, nothing spectacular. That event will never reveal so much details like "Madrid", as a FDR was not on board - but exactly that creates an even more restless brain since years. I kept debating with people over and over who knew both and who knew the airplane that brought them to death, as my deepest wish was to just understand what could have been the cause(s).

Since then I am very much interested in valid thoughts about tragic accidents like the one discussed here, as I am eager to learn more about human factors, safety critical engineering design and the like, just in case it can tell me someting about my own flying. E. g. missed flaps you could have on almost every aircraft. I just try to get my bag of knowledge filled more than my bag of luck.

There are different ways to cope with deep impressions, some people keep talking, some shut up entirely. But I think it's ok if everyone tries his own way, so do I when I post here and speculate. This is entirely NO disrespect towards the dear souls missing, indeed perhaps just the opposite. We owe them to try our best to make sure it never happens again. First step would be to understand - and not to rely on just some people whose report is just as thin as in the Lanzarote incident. I for sure learned more about the latter on PPRuNe than from the official report.

BBB