PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS Help (Long post!)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2008, 18:31
gashman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tommo,

I had simialr issues when I tried to get into the UAS. Before we even got an interview, we had to go via the Adj's office to fill in some paper work. He was effectively a fanny filter and sent the hot ladies through and told the likes of me to bog off (no places that year etc etc). That was the end of my first attempt. I spent my first year at uni getting stuck into my degree and planning what to do for my summer hols. As a top tip, do more stuff to further your CV as it is current achievements which will impress, not resting on past laurels. As an example, I got in touch with Camp America and went to work in the States for 8 weeks and went touring after that.

The second year I went to the UAS and got through to the final medical, which I failed on account of eyesight. (As an aside, it must have just been an off day, too little sleep or too much booze the day before maybe...). The only thing left to do was to go and apply to the RAF for a Bursary (my third attempt to get in if you count the Sixth Form Scholarship-which resulted in a Flying Scholarship). Whilst I was away experiencing the "delights" of an American Summer Camp for the second summer in a row, I received a phone call telling me I had been successful.

I spent the last year at university flying loads and having a fantastic time. Once in the UAS, I was told that the main aim for the UAS was not to recruit people into the RAF, but to persuade those uncertain about a career in the RAF to join. As a by-product, high calibre graduates, having spent time in the company of forces personnel, are more likely to be supportive of the forces in their future positions of responsibility. By doing an aeronautical degree and being so obviously geared towards joining the RAF, the selection board for the UAS, may have thought that you are going to join anyway, and decided to try and convince someone else instead.

In summary, don't get focussed on not getting though this time. Try joining some other clubs in the mean time (team sports are always a popular choice, as is skiing and sailing) aiming to impress the RAF board, no the UAS board. Plan something for the summer (like earning cash to show you have a strong work ethic, or charity work to show community spirit).

I know it is depressing not to get through at this hurdle, but it may be that you are so obviously destined to get into the RAF, that they chose not to spend time convincing you to join.

Oh, and after all that hastle to get in and lots of disappointment, I got there in the end and have flown some ace jets in some amazing places; been scared a lot; laughed a lot; met some great lads and lasses. It's worth the set backs, keep knocking at the door, someone will let you in.

GM