PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS Help (Long post!)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2008, 18:05
Lyco360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tommo ready of an equally long reply? First of all sorry to hear you didn't make it into the UAS. Secondly have a look at the OASC candidates and wannabes thread, there is a lot of good advice related to all things RAF recruitment wise that is relevant to getting into the UAS.

You've mentioned it but I can't emphasis how important it is to distance yourself from the superduper keen ATC cadet image. The examples you mentioned on your comment all seem to be ATC. You have to get out and do stuff off your own bat. The ATC will give you plenty of good experiences for comparatively little money but its a double edged sword! Try taking up a team sport through your union, or if you're not into field sports try sailing, or diving (both good examples of teamwork in critical circumstances). Most unions will have clubs for these. Make sure you have as many if not more examples of leadership and teamwork etc etc outside ATC as you have inside.

Secondly; how set are you on Air Transportation Management? I take it you're in your first year. You'll find its often easier once you're in university to transfer to another department. Could you transfer to an established more traditional course? You may well find that would also be of help to you if the RAF fell through completely. Do not believe your tutor when he says a degree is a degree and it doesn't matter what its in or where it comes from. That is no longer the case!

Remember, you can still apply next year, and there is 12 months between now and then which is plenty of time for you to concentrate on getting more diverse activities under your belt!

As for your friend I'd question the extent of his religious and cultural beliefs if he is willing to waive them so easily. If they are indeed that serious he probably won't want to hang around that long! Thats another potential space for you next year!!

Good luck!! Lyco

Edited to say...

I should add that the fact you're on here asking for advice is enough proof that you have the drive to get in, don't get too down hearted. As you've already its a hard path to follow, stick with it!!