PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS Help (Long post!)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2008, 17:15
Tommo89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UAS Help (Long post!)

Dear PPRuners,

Warning: Long post!

From a young age I’ve wanted a career in the armed service. Flying, and aviation in general is my passion so naturally I want to be an RAF pilot. However, bearing in mind how difficult this is to achieve I would happily go into another job within the RAF related to flying. I decided a while back that I wanted to do a degree though - direct entry is hard, most pilots have one and it serves as a back up if you don’t make it.

I recently started at university, (after 3 Cs at A Level in English, Business Studies and Sociology) and went straight to the UAS stand during the fresher’s fair prepared with some research on current affairs, RAF and some history/info on this particular UAS as you’d expect. I dressed smartly and paid attention to ‘manner and impact’, eye contact, polite but not over-familiar etc. The interview went well, and the person that interviewed me seemed impressed with what I had done previously (ATC for 5 years, reached CWO, 2 Flying Scholarships from the cadets and Air League, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, various camps and work experience within the RAF). It wasn’t really an interview, he just got me to expand a bit more on what I’d put on the form.

I thought this would put me in good stead, although I am fully aware that competition is very tough and that you should avoid focussing on cadet achievements too much because the UAS and ATC is very different - I know the UAS are more interested in leadership skills, potential to become a decent officer etc.

Anyway after the brief interview I was told to expect an email with details of the formal interview. A week and half went by with no response, so I rang them and was told that if I had not received an email then unfortunately my application had been unsuccessful and the only thing I could do was try again next year and hope that I progress a little further than the fresher’s stand!!

I can’t express how much I want to join the UAS, and how disappointed I am. Pretty much everything I’ve done over the years has been to try and improve my chances of getting in, and now it feels like I’ve hit a brick wall and it’s been for nothing! I would give it as much commitment and dedication as I possibly could – I know how valuable the opportunity is, and how much you can gain from it in return.

What’s frustrating is that my friend has been given an interview but has told me many times that he has no intention of joining the armed services (religious/cultural reasons). Of course he will not make this known, and even if he doesn’t get in he’s had the chance of an interview unlike me!

I would imagine that the main reason I’ve not been given an interview is because of my degree. It’s a BSc in Air Transport Management. Perhaps they’ve taken a look at this, and thought it’s too orientated towards the civil aviation market and therefore I have no intention of joining – the placement year probably doesn’t help. This isn’t the case though, the degree is meant to act as my backup plan! It might be that my grades and the way I came across in the interview let me down. I’d be surprised though as I felt it went well. The much longer interview I did at Cranwell recently for my flying scholarship went well, and I managed above average in the aptitude test that I did for my flying scholarship (granted it’s not the full OASC one but still worthy of something?)

The purpose of this post is to ask for any advice, hints or tips you can offer. So far my only idea is to write a letter to OC asking for an interview to go on the reserve list. I know that I’ve been told to wait until next year, but I don’t feel happy just leaving it if there’s something I might be able to do. If I have an interview and get rejected I would accept that, but it feels like I’ve not had a chance. Would writing to him perhaps show some dedication and determination? I don’t want to irritate them by going against what they’ve said... What do you think? Any other ideas?

Thanks for reading this, and a huge thank you in advance for any contributions. Apologies for the length, but I feel that for any valid contribution you need to be aware of the situation!