PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2008, 15:27
baffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al R
...WRT the poll, if the great British public was asked 'Do you want your savings on deposit to be backed with an unlimited 100% g'ment guarantee, I imagine that Mrs Moffet from 14 The High Street would nod her head. It doesn't mean she has given thought to the bigger picture though, or with the best will in the world has the long term interests at heart. I would also point out that 51% of the poll thought the idea would result in the troops being represented and I wonder how many of the respondants were families? Not that their views don't count of course, but aren't there military families federations anyway, and isn't this sort of poll only likely to attract those wives etc, who are polarised? ...

Al, that's quite a construct - all founded on the premise that significant numbers voting in the ArmyNet poll were families.

By the way it's not 51% in favour, it's reportedly still 73% in favour: "51% say 'long overdue', 22% say 'it could be useful') with more than 5100 votes cast." (Source: British Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > The Serious Bit > > Current Affairs, News and Analysis > > British soldiers want a federation to represent them)

Your 'it was the families who voted' hypothesis seems to have been picked up by ArmyNet users:
That's right, and in fact 'the opposition' has now asked on another site how many of those voting for a federation are in fact just family members.
Very few indeed, I'd have thought Hackle. I certainly never vote on any topic pertaining solely to regular soldiers for instance since it doesn't apply to me but happily voted on the BAFF poll and I’d imagine others are similar.

Really can't think that there had been any concerted campaign since the poll was very much under the radar before the newspaper report.

A handful of votes at best.
Source: British Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > The Serious Bit > > Current Affairs, News and Analysis > > British soldiers want a federation to represent them

That was several days ago and no other users have challenged it. The "families" theory is a red herring.

I am travelling at the moment but will see later if there is anything to add. If there is, I won't keep you hanging on quite so long for a reply!