PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2008, 11:26
radeng

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting post from Brian Abraham.

I understand the figures are quoted from the CAA, and aren't Brian's own.

30v/m at 30cms is a radiated power in free space of 2-2/3 watts. What cellphone radiates this much power? It's also the limit in the HF range for uncontrolled exposure i.e. to the general public. At cellphone frequencies, it would corespond to about 2.4 watts/sq. metre. It would certainly be on the way to cooking the customer!

In context, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) recommendations for immunity are for 3v/m in light industrial and doemstic, and 10v/m in heavy industry and more critical applications, such as emergency radio and life supporting medical implants, such as pace makers.

Personally, I have doubts about radios in PCs interfering, unless the aircraft is using MLS, or maybe with a weather radar. Worrying is the vulnerability of aircraft systems to EMC: it doesn't cost that much to build in immunity at the design stage. There have been suggestions that a lot of weight could be saved by using WLAN technology to send data from various airframe sensors, rather than sue cables. Now that REALLY could lead to problems!

Has CAT really been ruled out yet?