PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX LEPs.... it's time to join
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2008, 06:32
wowpeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just don't get the EXPAT allowances, why? good question old fella!!

Because......................wait for it............................

They are NOT EXPATS.

See, simple really.

Why do I get EXPAT allowances? because CX like a LOT of Asian Carriers cannot GROW their own Pilot's on coconut trees and need to ATTRACT experienced Pilot's like us EXPATS. Now to get us all to come thousands of miles from our home countries they need to make it attractive with a lifestyle we are accustomed to, hence EXPAT ALLOWANCES. I mean lets face it, if it wasn't for the money we wouldn't be here at all and CX management would have to fly the Aircraft themselves or ground the Airline.

Now it would be nice to pay the local this money too but they are LOCALS that were born here.

As I said before, but you've probably forgotten ( due to the old age thing )
Our own Cathay Pacific based Pilot's in their home country DO NOT GET EXPAT ALLOWANCES because.......................yep you got it............they are not EXPATS even though they do the same job.
ACMS, I think you will only find your argument valid in CX... because most other industries in HK has moved on... and it is only CX that is still stuck in the stone aged...

To be honest, only in Cathay you will find that the Expat thinks they are that much more superior than those who are on local terms. This is just a bad situations that is created by the old school Cathay system where there is an Expat terms and a Local terms... If you look at most other industries in Hong Kong, like banking (commerical and investment), law firm, accounting firm, real estate, etc... Most of them all moved on from this system years ago... One quick look at most multinational and big listed corporations, you will realize that there is no such thing as Expat terms for new hires anymore... everyone get the same pay and benefits if you are on the same pay grade... However, most Expat at banks and law firm, etc, do enters those firm at a higher pay grade level than most locals, but if locals reaches the same pay grade, they will get the same benefit as their EXPAT colleagues at the same company. This should be the way it is, and hence, this is the reason why so many LEP are not happy for their local package.

Also, a lot of the LEP are in fact much more educated for their CX pilot job. Lots of them are engineers, phd grad, master grad, law school grad, etc... and a lot of them are grads from some of the best school around the world... Most, if it is not because of their love of aviation, will probably get a much better paying job back at their respective country of residents... I know I am and I am pretty certain most of my LEP colleagues are as well... Most LEP have lived overseas for most of their lives and actually hold oversea passport... and most need to relocate back to HK for their CX job... therefore most LEP don't see themselves being any different than their Expat counterpart. The only distinction that the company is holding against the LEP is the fact that all LEP has a permanent HK ID card (ie: born in HK) and that's why they are consider locals... this is just a bunch of bulls*it really... This is also exactly why most of LEP demand to be equal in terms of their treatment at CX.

Finally, for those who argues that CX pays for LEP training so that's why you get a reduce benefits... this argument is flawed because they are now offering the instructor program for everyone around the world (including locals) and they are offering them Expat package on arrive back to HK... so really, the whole Expat package is just another way for CX to divide and conquer their pilot group. It has nothing to do with being Expat or Locals or not.

In order to get more LEP to join AOA, AOA needs to agree to at least attempt fight to bring the local package on par or closed to the expat package... the only way I see this can happens is to have the AOA to negotiate a HKG package irrespective of local or expat (like the rest of the industries in HKG)... and this way, it will drop the whole local/expat stigma and strength the whole pilot group.

wowpeter

(Note: In case anyone wonders... I am an AOA member... So far, I think the current committee is doing a much better job than the previous one! I have confident that you will see more LEP support if they keep up the good work.)

Last edited by wowpeter; 10th Oct 2008 at 07:10.