PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lan Peru Interview
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 22:43
tangalanga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entrevista Lan Peru

The Hiring process.

I will explain the way that they are interviewing people that is not from Peru and not even from the “Pacto Andino” countries, like me.
The company told me that they are looking for pilots out of Peru because they do not have enough nationals to cover the fast growing of the company. They are hiring DEC and FOs.
They prefer people with experience (for the Fo position) because the upgrade (A-319) can be very, VERY quick. People that I know that they are “importing” for FO position have 3000+ total, Jet, and 121 PIC. I don’t know if they also sponsor you if you are a low time pilot, may be if they like you.
For DEC, of course they ask for at least 4000 total and, at least 1000 PIC in Buses, Boeings , or similar size airplane. Don’t expect to be DEC if you have 3000 PIC in an ATR or 10000 SIC in a 777, they were clear on that.

First filter: Psychotecnic test.
Here is where 50% of the postulants get wash out.
The TEST:
1. They will give you a blank sheet and a pencil and tell you to draw something. When you are done, you have to write a brief explanation about your drawing.

2. Next is a series of questions. The interviewer asks verbally and you answer. Examples: Why people wash their clothes? If you find an envelope with the stamp and destination address on the middle of the street, what you do? Why people pay taxes? Watching a movie on the movie theater you are the first one to spot a fire, what you do?
They ask you about 20.

3. Intelligence test: 1. Series of numbers from 0 to 10.Each number has a symbol. Then, with a time limit, you have to complete as fast as you can, the new list of numbers with the correct symbol. 2. A lot of “logic type” figures test.3 More mental skills analyzed by giving you 9 small plastic cubes, and you have to move them around and put it together to emulate the figures that they show you.

4. Rorschach test.
5. A lot of personal questions about you, mother, father, etc.
The whole interview is almost 2 hours.

The rest of the process is normal.
Simulator test. If is Lima will be a 737-800 (I guess is the 800). It is “home made”, but do not expect a “game”, it is a beautiful fully equipped and working 737. It does not move, but is just like the “real cockpit” whit the original seats and everything.
The instructor is very professional and friendly. The flight is just normal instruments procedures and they want to see how you do in the cockpit. They do not expect you to fly the simulator like if you are a 737 pilot, like ing Cathay Pacific does.
ATP written test.
ICAO English tests.
Interview with the DO and you are done.

The only negative issue (and I am sorry to all the Limeños, but this is true and I say this with a lot of respect) was Lima. The people are very friendly and polite, and the City is OK, but the weather is horrible, at least for me. I am a very “outdoors” person, and when I was there the whole city was “grey”. The locals told me that it is like that almost all year around except for 2 or 3 months during the summer. 9 months a years is overcast 24/7, 7 days a week.
The Lan’s people are very nice, and you can feel a good atmosphere. Looks like is one of the top company to work for in Peru.
I hope I help somebody with the information.
Good luck .