PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot charged for taking helicopter shopping
Old 9th Oct 2008, 20:27
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ketchup
Maybe Flying Lawyer ……………….. might be able to put some light on a clearly grey area.
My knowledge of Irish aviation law is very limited. I did a case in Ireland some years ago, but that was assisting a local barrister because I didn't have rights of audience in Ireland.
I haven't researched the various issues because I’m no longer permitted to comment on legal matters.
However, even if I was allowed to do so, I wouldn’t unless I knew or found something which might help the pilot.
In stark contrast to you, I'd just let the IAA investigators get on with their job and not say anything on a public forum which might give them ideas and possibly cause problems for a pilot - or more problems for a pilot already in trouble.

Did I miss something or has the IAA once again?
I asked the FAA in Oklahoma
I have ………. double checked by calling the FAA (a responsible move in my opinion)
A responsible move to double check or a responsible move to take it upon yourself to call the FAA to try to find more information which could make things worse for the pilot?
This case is now becoming much more interesting now that the IAA have made, to my knowledge, the first prosecution of a helicopter pilot for acting in a dangerous manner. I do believe we are going to see many more summons to courts, and not just FAA certified pilots.
If you’re right, it will mean more work for aviation lawyers but it will also make life more difficult for pilots in Ireland. (Apart, of course, from the perfect ones who never intentionally breach a regulation, never make a mistake and never make a poor judgment.)
Be careful what you wish for.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 9th Oct 2008 at 21:39.