PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - engine failure, how common?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 18:45
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....the crankcase has a crack as long as your old fella.......
I reckon a crack that long would be entirely within tolerances and only require monitoring each annual inspection

Engine failures?

6.5 (not including a carby ice stoppage in a C150 one night on finals at Narrabri)

One was a jet and 3 were in piston twins (Islander/402/Aerostar - that one was cool, attendant fire indications with no bottle to discharge) all of which I landed back. The remainders resulted in placing the aircraft on the ground with varying extremes of prejudice.

The .5 is because the engine failure in the Islander was 3 out 4 magnetos dying over water en-route West New Britain. For a while as the magnetos died one at a time I didn't know which engine would actually stop...the left would stumble and the aircraft yaw that way and a few minutes later the right would stumble and the aircraft yawed that way. The only 3 magnetos that have ever given me grief in 29 years.

Also had a complete electrical failure in the Deathstar in IMC < LSALT (over water) on descent. EVERYTHING in a Deathstar is electrical.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 9th Oct 2008 at 18:59.