PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot charged for taking helicopter shopping
Old 9th Oct 2008, 16:02
ketchup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Bronx:
Pprune sure is a good place to learn about the world.
Irish threads blow the image of Ireland being a friendly place full of kindhearted warm friendly people.

It's hard to tell if Ketchup has got a personal grudge against this guy or if he just enjoys hitting people when they're down and trying to make things even worse for them.

B
Bronx,

After recent events in Ireland, it is always interesting to see what type of certificate the said pilots have. I do not have a personal grudge against the pilot. I do however have an issue with people exploiting loop holes in aviation law. If you take your time to read through the trend, you might notice that I am in not 'hitting' this person when they are down. I have asked for clarity on regulations and have pointed out that the FAA records say he has a student certificate which I double checked by calling the FAA (a responsible move in my opinion)

Ireland is a very friendly place to work and live, but what I see written here is annoyance and questioning to why this blatant disregard to Irish Aviation law is being challenged. This in turn has given negative press to the helicopter industry once again, at a time when it is the last thing needed.

Just because you have a concealed weapons permit on a US registered gun, it does not allow me to walk around Ireland with it. I'd get arrested and charged. You can not argue this point, if you can, you would make a fantastic barrister.

This case is now becoming much more interesting now that the IAA have made, to my knowledge, the first prosecution of a helicopter pilot for acting in a dangerous manner. I do believe we are going to see many more summons to courts, and not just FAA certified pilots.

In a recent conversation with a friend, I was told that you may 'keep' a US N registered helicopter in the Ireland for a certain amount of time, to memory, 60 days I think. After which, you must either put it on the Irish register or move it out of the country. I have looked for this reg on the IAA website but can't find it so I can't vouch for it.

Also, I was told, that by right, to fly in Ireland on a foreign license, you must apply to the IAA for permission. This permission is to each aircraft that you request and is for a limited time only, again, circa 60 days. Also I have looked for this on the IAA website but couldn't find anything on it.

Maybe Flying Lawyer, Helipolarbear or someone in authority might be able to put some light on a clearly grey area.