PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie Dollar Plummets
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 14:58
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may sound weird, but if you actually run the numbers, it works: Instead of buying, rent and spend the difference (there is one in most places, although property folk may want you to believe otherwise) investing the stock market (buy now, it's a good time ), and you'll come out in front after twenty years. Doubt it? Work through an example using average earnings, house prices, real estate and stock market gains, and you'll see what I mean. Assume similar risk profiles when selecting mutual funds..
I've seen the numbers for this and it can work, provided you are disciplined enough to actually invest the difference rather than spending it on a higher standard of living, and the stocks you buy don't all crash. Personally I would rather have the security of owning the place I live in. Companies can go broke leaving your shares totally worthless.

Property markets can crash leaving you with negative equity, or interest rates can go sky high, but by hanging in there long term you will come out ahead. How much is a Qintex share worth today ? Compare that to a house bought at the wrong time in the 1990s.