PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air sets sights on major Bahrain maintenance facility
Old 9th Oct 2008, 08:43
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gulf Air sets sights on major Bahrain maintenance facility

Source: Flight International

Gulf Air has signed a deal with the Bahrain Real Estate Company (Edamah) to build a new hangar at its Bahrain international airport base as it considers establishing a major maintenance facility for the region.

Construction will begin next year and, once completed, the facility will have capacity to accommodate three widebody aircraft. The facility is slated for completion in 2011.

Gulf Air chief executive Bjorn Naf says the development will make Bahrain a key aircraft maintenance hub in the region. "This world-class maintenance facility will enable Gulf Air to continue maintaining the highest safety standards as well as keep our existing and future fleet in the best condition possible," he says.

Gulf Air until last year held a 40% stake in Abu Dhabi-based maintenance firm Gamco, which was renamed Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies after investment firm Mubadala acquired full control of the company.

The question on my mind is how and when (or is it if?) this development will result in marked improvement of maintenance. Almost a year-and-a-half ago, pledges were made to drastically improve the maintenance situation of the aircraft, especially the conditions of aircraft cabins. Yet, engineers still complain about a shortage of spare parts, the economy class cabins on some aircraft are outright disgusting, especially the lavatories, and half of the A340 fleet continues to fly with the outdated pre-Hogan era First Class section. Even the "new" First and Business class is starting to show its age and should be examined for an updating and revamp. It isn't new or cutting edge anymore and I believe our premium passengers are noticing this!

Yet a disproportionate amount of energy and attention seems to be going into getting new uniforms for Cabin Crew. In my opinion, the Cabin Crew uniforms still look great and modern, and the textiles, dinars and emphasis should be going into revamping the cabins which are the real eyesore.