PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 08:40
one post only!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kind of agree with a few of the "negative" posts on here. I think it’s important to have perspective and varied inputs. Otherwise you can develop rose tinted vision!
While Day Dreamer does seem to have a thing about CTC I do agree with one thing he said, all that matters is bottom line to them. They are not training you out of the goodness of their hearts. They do not have some great philanthropic reason to get you a (f)ATPL.
However keeping the bottom line in the black means looking after your cadets! They need to look after you and place good quality people to keep the brand looking good and to keep people coming through the door.
I have said this before, now is not a time to rush in to anything and I think CTC are going to hit hard times placing people but I still think you are safer with CTC than other training providers. No-one is going to find it easy placing people in the next year or so but I reckon CTC will find it less difficult!
I don't think it is a debate on CTC or someone else, more to start now or wait a while. There are cheaper alternatives out there but I do think with CTC you pay a bit more for a slightly better chance of getting a jet job. Only you can decide if it is worth spending the extra money to increase your chances of employment.

I also think it’s important to have negative posts because reading them might put some people off starting training. They might not think the risk is worth it. Others however will read all the doom and gloom and think I still want to do it. That’s great because those are the ones we need in aviation. The truly committed ones. The ones that really want it.
All I would say to those individuals though is think through your finances, now and in the future. Even when placed with an airline (for the 6 months while still with CTC) think about cars, houses etc. Don't over commit etc.

If you really really want it, still start with CTC but think it through very carefully. If you have any nagging doubts don’t bother. You will probably realise you made the right decision in the long run.

Whatever you do, don't rush in. Read the positive "just go for it posts" but also read the negative ones. Think about it all carefully.

If you were about to fly an approach and there was a huge CB sat on 5 mile final would you press on with a positive attitude or would you listen to some negative info and delay starting the approach till things improve??

Whatever you do, do it armed with all the information available so you can make an informed decision! You never know, starting now could place you nicely for an industry upturn but no-one really knows what will happen. It could get better, it could get much worse. What happens if you are in the hold pool for 12 months??? Plan for the worst case.

P.S it is well worth it when you do make it (long days and shift work not withstanding!!)

P.P.S I now have cramp from my longest post ever!!