PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much aeroplane do you really need?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 01:44
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Beech Sundowner, 180 hp.

Previously I had a Cherokee 140, but with frequent passengers, etc, I was very limited in useful load; it was well equipped for IFR and had only 700 lbs useful load. That's when I sold it and bought the Sundowner. I fixed myself an upper limit: I would not go higher than 180 hp, fixed pitch and fixed gear only. True a Mooney might be nice and efficient with good fuel burn translating into decent speed. But anything with a variable pitch prop and retractable gear will bite back at annual time. And with insurance costs. I dare say unless you have the cash, and do a decent amount of fairly long cross-countries or IFR, a fixed-pitch, fixed gear single should be all you need.

My kids are now growing and leaving the house; I have less need for the extra seats and the high price of fuel has made me reluctant to give free rides to relatives. I have put the Sundowner up for sale (although it is a VERY slow market at the moment) in the hopes of downsizing to a 2-seater. I have my eye on a nice Skipper (in fact I owned it once, what goes around comes around!), but would also look at a C150/152, AA1, Traumahawk, if I found the right bird at the right place.

Never more aircraft than you need should be the Golden Rule.

If I do get around to finding a buyer I will be sad indeed because the Sundowner, while a bit slow, is a very nice stable ride and yet it's certified for aerobatics and is a delight to fly.

Beech