PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot charged for taking helicopter shopping
Old 8th Oct 2008, 22:33
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My comment about this pilot trying to "wipe out the global Hughes fleet" should be taken as my poor attempt at wit. As for me (or anyone else here) being jealous of the man because he has his own helicopter, well, I say good luck to him. However, regardless of whether or not you or I own the helicopter we fly, there comes with the privileges of a pilot's licence the responsibility to operate the helicopter in a responsible and safe manner. This landing on the rooftop carpark was at least careless, if not reckless. Some argued earlier in this thread that there was nothing wrong with what he did, that helicopters are versatile and this is exactly what they were designed for. No-one here will argue about the versatility of rotorcraft but the problem is this N-reg machine was operated in contravention of IAA regulations with regard to the approach to this landing site.

I haven't flown with the pilot in question but I do know the people closely connected with the H269 he wrote off and others in the heli community here in Ireland who know the pilot and are not "surprised" at these events.

There are, no doubt, numerous pilots on this forum who have logged upwards of 10,000 hours and have never even scratched a machine. These highly-experienced pilots will probably admit that they have had a few near-misses in their careers but it is doubtful they wilfully engaged in careless flying that might endager themselves or others. I don't know how many hours this pilot has logged but already he has been involved in two incidents that have brought adverse attention both to himself and the heli community in Ireland. Not enough to say that there is a pattern developing here but you never know.

500 Fan.