PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2008, 20:51
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats all very nice and good luck with the course. You are firmly in posession of those tinted specs though. I'd leave the preaching until you have finished the course, got a job and had a few years of experience in the industry.

If you truly want this then go for it! Listen to the people who have done it successfully and are living the dream.
I've done it and I'm a few years into airline flying. And it's a great job, and a great feeling when all the hard work pays off.

However.

The debt is big and it takes a long time to pay it off. Which is fine, if you get a job quick and/or your airline doesn't totally exploit you, as my employers have just done with 22 CTC cadets.

I'm not being negative or a miserable git, I'm just telling it how it is, from a view inside the industry. No-one knows how long this downturn will last. By all means give CTC a go, but all this "follow your dream" and "go for it" stuff is being given to you by guys who are understandably buoyant at the prospect of New Zealand. The cold hard fact is that this is a seriously bad time to be spending life changing amounts of money on the proviso that you will get a job which right now doesn't exist.

Good luck to all the CTC guys.