PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can lightning strike twice?
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2008, 17:30
sunshine band

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
From www.lrdg.com

Name: Diana Liddle
[email protected]
Date: 01 Mar 2004
Time: 22:45:56
Comments

My father George Thompson went to Africa WW2 met my mother there he is from Newcastle upon Tyne joined 1939 R.A.F

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Maybe she can help...

Just to help cross some individuals off, it's not this hero...

Flight Sergeant George Thompson was the wireless operator of a Lancaster which attacked the Dortmund-Ems Canal on 18 January 1945. The aircraft had twice been hit by anti-aircraft shells; the first hit the mid-upper turret and set the aircraft on fire, filling it with dense smoke; the second shell struck the nose of the aircraft which caused an inrush of air, clearing away the smoke but revealing a scene of utter devastation Flight Sergeant Thompson immediately saw that the mid-upper gunner was trapped. Without a moment's hesitation he entered the blazing turret and pulled the unconscious gunner free. He carried him to safety and then with his bare hands extinguished the gunner's blazing clothing, sustaining serious burns in the process. Flight Sergeant Thompson then noticed that the rear gun turret was also on fire, and despite his injuries, made his way to the rear of the aircraft; once again ignoring his own safety, he entered the burning turret to rescue the unconscious rear gunner, and with his already badly burnt hands, extinguished the gunner's blazing clothing. Even though he was now almost completely exhausted, he made his way forward to the captain to report on the fate of the crew. So pitiful was his appearance that his captain failed to recognise him. Even so, Thompson's only concern was for his 2 comrades left in the rear of the aircraft. The aircraft eventually crash-landed at its home base. Flight Sergeant Thompson was admitted to hospital, where 3 weeks later, he died of his wounds.

Flight Sergeant Thompson's medals, accompanied by a silver model of the Lancaster which was presented to his family by Avro, are on display in Edinburgh Castle, his name also placed on the side of VC-10, XR806. The aircraft served well until a defuelling incident ended up writing the aircraft off. I remember cycling into work and seeing the nose sticking up through some low lying fog! What a sight!!!

Gratuitous self-indulgent photos from my collection time. I think that these were taken in May 1996...

SB